Thursday, May 7, 2009

The cupcake mission is going international and I am so excited!!!!! Tanya Dorfler and Carolin Paulus will host a CC Mission in Germany to benefit the Ronald McDonald House. I tear up when I think about this particular mission. All the causes that have benefitted and that continue to benefit from the CC Missions are all so deserving. I have a special place in my heart for children battling terminal illnesses and their families that endure pains and fears that I cannot even imagine. Everyday the nurses and volunteers at the Ronald McDonald House try to make an oasis of sorts so that the families and children can escape reality momentarily between medical tests and results. I am so grateful for all their efforts and their dedication to the children and their families. I am also extremely grateful to Tanya and Carolin for all their efforts and enthusiasm. They radiate inner and outer beauty and pure joy for life and share their passion for helping others with such elegance.
From this side of the Atlantic I dedicate this mission to the loving memory of Jalisa, a spirited young girl who left us too early. She taught me how to dance to "Sorry Miss Jackson" and "The Thong Song" from a hospital bed with an IV attached. At the strangest of times Sorry Miss Jackson will come on the radio and I feel the sense of an angel. Jalisa taught me not to take any day for granted, to notice the small things, even when someone changes lipstick colors. She was wise and strong beyond her years and I am forever grateful for the time we had together. I am forever sorry that I wear my emotions better than any fashion trend of the week, and I am so sorry that she could sense my weak heart moreso than she ever let on in person. I use to take her happy meals from McDonald's, the fries were our favorite. But she called me one day and told me that she was tired and going to sleep so I said I would bring a happy meal tomorrow. "OK Miss Meg" were her last words and we never had the last goodbye.
So to Jalisa, Tanya, Carolin and all the wonderful people who show up at the CC Mission to benefit the RM House, I raise an extra big frosted cupcake to you--may you always remember to dance and notice the times when your friends change their lipsticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment